Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Watazumi Southaven MS: Impromptu Fun

It's that time of year where the kids activities seem to overlap. Ansley just wrapped up cheer on Tuesday. Both of the kids started basketball three weeks ago and two weeks ago I signed them up for tumbling.

Ryan had ridden with us to get ChaChi's allergy shots as soon as he got home from work. Then we sat through an hour of tumbling. He was just ready to come home and relax. I really needed to come home and start dinner. But I spotted this glorious, monstrosity of a slide: Watazumi. I couldn't help myself. I just had to stop and check out this slide.  If you've ever driven by Snowden Grove, you have seen it. I have always thought of stopping but it hasn't ever been inflated. Tonight it was inflated and the kids saw it and asked if we could stop. I could tell Ryan wasn't really up for it but my car just pulled off the road toward the slide. It was really out of my control, really.

We get out and find the person running the slide. The slide wasn't really open. The owner was just there doing some maintenance . He was kind enough to let the kids slide. Straight out of tumbling the kids were dressed in shorts and short sleeved shirts. I'm sure he thought we were crazy because he asked, "do y'all have jackets?" Of course we didn't. Then he says they may want to take their shoes off. Barefoot, through the wet grass and mud the kids made their way up to the top of the 65 feet tall slide, I think they counted 50 steps. ChaChi was the first one down which really surprised me because he is the chicken of the two. Later, Ansley revealed that she told him to go first because she wanted to see what it would be like. After we watched ChaChi go down we were like, "Oh man that was awesome!" The owner, I think it was Rob, said "y'all should give it a try." What? Me? Slide? Well, heck yeah! I think I will. Ryan and I kicked off our shoes and headed up the slide. When I got to the top, I have to admit I was surprised how high up we were. OH MY GOSH! I screamed all the way down, all 265 feet! It was such a great feeling. I felt like a kid again.  The slide is $5.00 for three trips down or $10.00 for unlimited. Worth. Every. Penny. When I got off the slide I ran(in my socks, mind you) to the steps to go back up. ChaChi said he can't remember the last time he had that much fun.

My point in all this rambling: don't get too busy to have fun. I know the responsible thing would have been to come home and cook dinner and get the kids in bed on time. So what? The kids had an egg sandwich and got in bed an hour late. In exchange for a great time, totally worth it. Do over!

It is usually only open on the weekends but as luck would have it, the owner was there doing some maintenance. It is priced at $5.00 for three trips down the slide or $10.00 for unlimited sliding

Update:

I cannot say enough good things about Watazumi. We spent the day there yesterday. For the summer it is a water slide. When you arrive there are a nice group of trees to park under. Make your way to the cute little barn, get your wrist band and prepare to have a good time.

Watazumi

6674 Snowden Lane, Southaven MS 38672

                                      Summer Hours                                           

             Monday - Thursday 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM                  
             Friday - Saturday     10:00 AM to 11:00 PM                  
  Sunday                       2:00 PM to 10:00 PM  

                  

Cost

$15.00 For an all day pass. Come and go as you please. Just make sure you leave your wristband on.


What to bring with you: If you're sliding wear a swim suit or shorts and a t-shirt is fine too. Bring chairs or a blanket.  Towels for the sliders. There are plenty of shady places to sit. Bring a cooler with drinks and snacks. Going up all those steps works up an appetite. On the weekends they show movies. Check their Facebook for update about what movie will be showing.Watazumi


No comments:

Post a Comment