Sunday, December 9, 2012

'Tis the Season

I remember when I was a kid it seemed like time just stopped when the calendar hit Dec. 1st. Now it seems to pass you by in the blink of an eye. There is so much going on this time of year. I love it but quite honestly it stresses me out! Shopping, dragging out the Christmas tree and decorations. Remembering which kid has a party to attend and trying to remember if we're swapping cookies or ornaments. Trying to logistically plan being at both school Christmas parties because they are always on the same day! My kids go to schools across town from each other so this is especially challenging for me. Even finding the time to take the Christmas card picture causes me to stress. This year Ansley was being more difficult than usual about "dressing up" for the picture. The kid hates to shop, wonder where she gets that? She wears a uniform to school so her clothing selection is very limited. After one trip to Target looking for something for her to wear I decided it wasn't worth the drama. I couldn't even get her to embrace wearing a red long sleeved T. So here is what our card looks like. You'd never guess it was 70 degrees when I took the picture or that ChaChi was complaining the whole time! He hated the card idea and still hates the card. He says it doesn't even look like him! And yes, I washed the pole...three times.






Friday was our Sunday school Christmas party. I won the tacky sweater award for the women and the Ole Miss sweatshirt was the winner for the men.



I took twenty baked potatoes to the party and it seemed to be a good idea. It was very easy to throw together. I rubbed them down with olive oil, dashed them with kosher salt and baked them for 1.5 hours on 350. Took them out wrapped them in foil and threw them in a cooler. I took a plastic vegetable tray and filled it with butter, sour cream, cheese and bacon bits. I will be doing this again!

Saturday we were invited to another Christmas party. I suspect that we were on the "if enough people cancel we can invite them list." We didn't get invited until Friday. I can't say that I blame them, the last party we were invited to at their house we showed up on our four wheeler. We were asked to bring an appetizer so I just thought I'd take deviled eggs because I had everything on hand to make them. This is  a recipe I've been making for years. I believe I originally found it on allrecipes.com.

Deviled Eggs
  1. Hard boil your eggs. I put the desired amount of eggs in a pot and let them set for about 15 minutes before I turn them on.
  2. Bring to a super slow boil in salted water for about 25 minutes. 
  3. Turn them off and let them cool.
  4. Drain the hot water off.
  5. Add cold water and ice. I think the shock of the change in temp helps the shell come off.

You will need mayo, bacon bits and shredded cheddar cheese.



I got creative and took and put on a rubber glove and rubbed a little food color on the outside of the egg. I let it set on the egg for a couple of minutes and then rinsed them off.



Cut the eggs in half. Put the yolks in a mixing bow and smush them up (that's official terminology). Then add the other ingredients. I never measure, I mean it's deviled eggs not rocket science, so just add ingredients to your taste.

Then just spoon the mixture back inside the egg.


And there you have the most delicious deviled egg. Way better than the original version. 


Well, we had a good time at both parties. I just hope they liked my eggs enough that we make the first party list of invitees next year. 

I doubt it though, I was obnoxious as usual. Speaking of, don't you agree it should be called George Washington Balls, not Martha?





No comments:

Post a Comment