Saturday, October 13, 2012

Little Rock, Arkansas

 What to do for Fall Break? We decided to take a trip to Little Rock. It is just about two and a half hours from Memphis. I did a little research on www.tripadvisor. com The Flying Fish of Little Rock was ranked #6  so we figured we'd give it a try. I didn't know at the time it was a chain and there is one in Memphis.
You order from a sign board and are given a beeper to pick up your food when it's ready. You get your own condiments and refills. We were there on a Wednesday and the place was pretty busy. Ryan got a shrimp poboy and a soda. Ansley got a shrimp and catfish combo. ChaChi got a kid's meal and I got the two filet combo meal. I thought the food was pretty good. I'd like to try the one in Memphis to see how it compares. Our bill was $36.41 for lunch. 

Our next stop was the Museum of Discovery. We loved this place! If you've never been it is worth checking out. For two adults and two kids admission was $36.00
 Lots of hands on educational stations that are energy related.

This lets you compare the energy you need to light an incandescent vs a compact fluorescent.   


Pulley systems
 Electromagnetic field, yes I was totally freaked out that other people had those on their heads. So far, we haven't noticed any lice.
 The object was to try to clear your mind so that a little ball would roll away from you. We found what Ryan can do best...relax and clear his thoughts. I suspect he fell asleep. He never lost a match.


 They even had a small display of some reptiles.
 The weather desk.


 After we left the museum, we walked over to the Riverfront Park. 

"Little Rock"


 Small play area.

 If you look closely you will notice this guy has the outline of Arkansas on his left calf with a star in the place of Little Rock. I should have asked him where to eat. I bet he knows all the good places.

It was really nice that there was so much to do within walking distance. We made a quick stop to our hotel, Comfort Inn to checkin. I chose this hotel because of its rank on tripadvisor. It was about three miles from the River Market but it had a shuttle service available. We spent $95.89 on the hotel. We were automatically upgraded to a suite because I am a member of Choice Privileges. Yes, it sounds exclusive...but it's free. We drove about seven miles to eat at The Purple Cow. I had a patty melt and everyone else had burgers that come with chips. The atmosphere was similar to a 50's diner and the quality of the food was comparable to Steak and Shake. However the shakes were amazing. I have to say the best I have ever had. We spent $45.06 for dinner and three shakes. They are really big so I just sampled everyone else's.

We had a great time! Our total cost for the day in Little Rock was $213.36. That is equal to what one night in a condo at the beach would have cost. Sure, we didn't get to lay on the beach or by the pool but we did have fun! Crap, I miss the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment